Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hope

(This is from my mom... She gave me this to share with Argelia... not only do I know that it helped her but as I read through it I find myself finding an incredible amount of help and strength... or family and extended family have gone through so much and I am grateful for hope... knowing that I can have hope and that my prayers are heard and answers! Because of the Love of Savior we can have hope that all trials, struggles, sadness, ALL THINGS will be well!)

When I think of the word "hope" my mind immediately recalls the phrase: 
"having a perfect brightness of hope." (2 Ne 31:20). I've been repeating these 
words a lot in the last two months, especially since this was Halle's scripture 
choice that she gave to me to help me be "strong as a rock!" The beginning 
words of this verse state: "ye must press forward..." To "press" means to bear 
down, to compress, to apply force...and we are expected go forward as we 
"press." This sounds like heavy, hard work to me, especially when I'm feeling 
weak, or tired, or even depressed. I am so grateful for the scriptures, even 
modern revelation, that can bring strength and hope to me when I'm not feeling 
so strong. The words spoken in General Conference are words to "feast upon."
I love Elder Holland's talk, "The Ministry of Angels" that he gave in 
General Conference in Oct. 2008. He testified that ministering angels are sent 
to help us in our hour of need. He said, "Even the Son of God, a God Himself, 
had need for heavenly comfort during His sojourn in mortality." I love the 
painting by the great Danish artist, Carl Bloch, named "Christ in the Garden of 
Gethsemane." It shows an angel "ministering" to the Savior in His greatest hour 
of sorrow and suffering. It is so comforting to me to know that our Heavenly 
Father, in His great love, allowed the Savior this angelic comfort and 
strength. I know that Heavenly Father gives us the same assistance when we are 
in need of it. Elder Holland quotes President Monson's favorite scripture: "I 
will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left,...my 
Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you 
up." (D&C 84:88).
I think of Argelia Alvarez, who is an angel herself. She would be the first 
to offer help and assistance, if she knew she could be of service to someone 
else. I know that there are many angels, just like her, who are round about her 
and who will bear her up. I know that she will be able to "press forward with a 
steadfastness in Christ." I hope that I can do the same.

Pam Jones





I love you both!
Mamie

No comments:

Post a Comment