Saturday, June 9, 2012

No Cussing???

Okay I was studying my scriptures and I came across the scripture that helped me decide to live my no cussing goal, and I would like to share...

So general conference or some kind of meeting when I was 11 or 12  years old we were sitting in the Webster building listening to President Gordon B. Hinckley give a talk. He was speaking and challenged us to do something different, to do something of our own free will, something we weren't commanded to do. He read this scripture...

D&C 58: 27-28


 27 Verily I say, men should be aanxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
 28 For the power is in them, wherein they are aagents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their breward. 
The rest of the day this talk kept coming back to me... I kept thinking what is something I can change in my life through my own free will that could maybe bring about something good. I thought for a while and I remember I started to watch and movie and of course a cuss word was said and I remember getting sick to my stomach from hearing it. I remember I couldn't stand the sound of  cuss words... I kept watching the movie and didn't turn it off or anything. I remember feeling like if those words bother me so much why oh earth am I choosing to listen to them. Then it came... I am not going to watch or listen to anymore cussing. This was what I was going to do of my own free will! I was so excited... until I started actually doing my goal! My excitement turned into a fight... I know I don't have to explain to either of you how hard it was for me. I felt embarrassed walking out of movies, afraid that I was going to make someone feel bad, angry that I got made fun of so bad, or completely in tears thinking that people I wanted to date wouldn't like me anymore or would stop being my friend all together. I think you can remember certain times. But now I don't regret this choice at all. I have not been perfect at it by any means. I have heard a couple since... but I have to say this choice has blessed my life in so many ways, and I feel has made me a better and stronger person...
Today I have decided to do something else... a new goal as well as my last one of my own free will to bring about something good... I have no idea what I am going to do yet. I also want to ask both of you if you wouldn't mind doing something as well, something of your own free will, something we aren't commanded to do? It doesn't have to be huge- it could be something so small that could become huge down the road to you or someone else. Let me know what you think. I love you both so much!!
Mamie

No comments:

Post a Comment